BAN Waste Select Committee evidence
Use this link to return to the list of BAN Waste Select Committee witness files.
|Phase 1 Day 2
||Gearoid Henry (Recycling Officer, and `Greening the Supply Chain', Newcastle City Council)
written evidence submitted in advance
Outline of presentation
Looking at the various waste streams a typical household might produce
- Focus on household waste in UK and Newcastle
- What is waste: Legal definition and lay definition
- What does it mean
- Origins in Waste Management Hierarchy
- True Waste Minimisation and procedures that minimise
the amount of waste collected or processes that reduce the amount of waste
Examples of Waste Minimisation
- Global imbalance, developed and developing worlds
- The factors that affect the amount of waste produced per
Household in the UK
- Household occupancy rates
- Realistic or not?
- Reduce consumption?
- Plan consumption.
- The question of the 8 million tonnes of food wasted in the UK annually.
- Junk Mail - redirection or eradication
- Individual responsibility
The minimisation effect of re-use, recycling, composting and energy
- Brief examples of individual responsibility
- Milk bottles, bags, home composting
Playing with the figures on waste generated in Newcastle
- Reducing the household waste stream?
- Laying the statistics out in a user friendly form
- The volume of a tonne of waste before compaction
- Wheeled bins as spontaneous generators of waste and
the first law of thermodynamics